Sunday, May 23, 2010

Carrot cake with coconut and pecans

I haven't baked gluten-free before and was dreading the process of mixing my own gluten-free flour mix.

"Xantham gum?!" I cried to myself, tearing at my hair. "I have never even seen such a thing in the stores (though admittedly I have never looked)! And in Australia we do not have this quote unquote Pamela's Ultimate Baking Mix thing that all these American recipes talk about. I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO MAKE THIS CAKE AND THE EVENING WILL BE RUINED."

"Oh for the love of-!" said a colleague exasperatedly. "There's pre-mixed gluten-free flour in the supermarket. It's in the health food aisle."

And she was right.


Carrot cake with coconut and pecans



Carrot Cake

1/2 cup light vegetable oil
1 cup organic light brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup plain yogurt (or coconut yogurt)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon honey (or agave)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon mix of nutmeg, clove and allspice
2 cups gluten-free baking flour mix (I bought a White Wings pre-mix)
Pinch of baking powder
3/4 cup dessicated coconut
1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots (I used 2 large carrots)
1/2 cup golden raisins or currants
1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans (or walnuts)

Preheat the oven to 180 C and grease a 9-inch springform cake pan.

In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, add the oil and beat, then add the brown sugar and beat until smooth.

Beat in the yogurt, vanilla, honey, cinnamon and spice.

Add baking flour mix and beat until combined.

Add coconut, carrots, raisins and nuts. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine.

Spread the batter evenly in the cake pan and place the pan in the center of a preheated oven.

Bake until the cake is firm, and a wooden pick inserted into the center emerges clean. Mine took about 1 hour but it could take less - the original recipe suggested 45 minutes.

Cool on a wire rack before frosting with cream cheese icing. Sprinkle with coconut, if desired. (I didn't.)


Cream Cheese Icing

120g softened cream cheese
2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract, to taste
1-2 cups icing sugar
A squeeze or two lemon (or other citrus) to taste

In a mixing bowl beat the cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the vanilla.

Add in the sugar, 1 cup at a time. The original recipe calls for 3 cups (!) but I found 1 to 1.5 cups more than sufficient. Also, I cheated, because I ran out of icing sugar, and supplemented it with caster sugar. Ha.

Squeeze a little lemon or other citrus juice into the frosting and beat till smooth. Add more sugar, if needed, to thicken, or add more juice to thin.


Adapted from Gluten Free Goddess


*

Oh hey. My Coconut Bread recipe was transformed by Bryn into a most awesome comic strip for the latest issue of Beef Knuckles. There is even a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reference! :DDDD So you should totally pick up a copy if you get a chance. Also because the zine is actually good.

No comments:

Post a Comment