Saturday, June 26, 2010

Moroccan Fish Stew

Not sure exactly how Morrocan this really is, but it's tasty and easy. I find myself liking Bill Granger against my will...

Moroccan Fish Stew

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 cinnamon stick
pinch cayenne pepper (I cheated and skipped this)
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
pinch of salt
500g firm white fish fillets cut into chunks (I used ling; cod or snapper works too)
400g tin chickpeas, rinsed
2 teaspoons honey
freshly ground black pepper

To serve:
fresh coriander
flaked almonds, lightly toasted


Heat the olive oil in a large heavy based pan over medium to low heat. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent.

Add garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric and cinnamon and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until fragrant.

Add cayenne pepper, tomatoes, salt and 250ml (1 cup) water. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.

Add the fish and simmer until fish is tender, about 5 minutes.

Add chickpeas and honey, cook for a further 2-3 minutes and season to taste.

Serve garnished with coriander or flaked almonds. I like having this with some coucous on the side.


From Bill Granger's Every Day

1 comment:

  1. I also like Bill Granger against my will. Everything I have cooked from his cookbook has been very tasty. He uses TONNES of ingredients, though

    ReplyDelete