Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Pumpkin polenta muffins

I had the most delicious ham and zucchini polenta muffin at Patisse in Waterloo on the weekend. And one chocolate and one passionfruit macaron. And a coffee. Mmmm...

I'm getting distracted. My point is their polenta muffin was awesome and I wanted to try making some too. Mine wasn't as tasty, I'm afraid, but it's not bad, and it looks nice, and I eated it.


Pumpkin polenta muffins

Olive oil, to grease
190g (1 1/4 cups) self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
90g (1/2 cup) polenta
2 eggs, lightly whisked
185ml (3/4 cup) milk
60g butter, melted
40g (1/2 cup) coarsely grated cheddar
180g (2/3 cup) cooked, mashed pumpkin
1 small red capsicum, finely chopped
270g can corn kernels, drained


Preheat oven to 180°C.

Grease and line muffin tin. (This is where I went a little wrong, by the way. I used a nonstick muffin tin and assumed it wouldn't stick. Surprise! It did. The muffins were okay, but some were a bit wrecked at the base. Next time I'm using muffin liners.)

Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and polenta into a large bowl and make a well in the centre.

Use a fork to whisk together the egg, milk and butter in a second large bowl. Stir in the cheddar, pumpkin, capsicum and corn.

Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined.

Spoon mixture into tins and smooth the surface. Bake in oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

Set aside in pan for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes 12 muffins.


Adapted from Taste

No comments:

Post a Comment